I have eaten this chicken prepared by Thoihen couple of times and it’s awesome and is one of my favourite.
1) Chicken (4 lbs cut in medium size pieces)
2) Green Mint (1 bunch)
3) Cilantro (1 bunch)
4) Onions ( 2 medium size chopped in fine slices)
5) Garlic ( 8 cloves)
6) Ginger ( 1 &1/2 inch)
7) yogurt (around 1/3 of a tub)
8) whole black pepper (10 seeds)
9) cloves (6)
10) green cardamom (6)
11) Badi ellaichi (big cardamom) (3)
12) cinnamon (3 one inch sticks)
13) bay leaf( 2)
14) green chillies (8)
15) Salt to taste
16) a pinch of turmeric powder
1) Marinade: In a mixer/blender blend the mint, cilantro, garlic, ginger and green chillies till it becomes smooth.( tip add some yogurt in the mixer to blend smoothly).Add the remaining yogurt and some salt and mix well to form a smooth marinade.
2) Marinate the chicken in the above marinade and put away in the fridge for 2 hours.
3)Heat oil in a pan/wok and on low heat put the bay leaf, cardamom, blackpeper, cinnamon and cloves. Be careful not to burn them.
4) Fry the onion till they are golden brown.
5) Add chicken and fry till it is tender(around 30-45
mins). Add a pinch of turmeric powder.
6) When the chicken is tender add the remaining marinade and simmer on low heat. You may add a little water, depending on the consistency.
7) Add salt to taste.
Tasty Green Chicken curry is ready!! Serve hot with jasmine rice (or naan) and a bottle of Chardonay or Pinot Grigio. Enjoy.