Cooking from Sailusfood. It came out really good. Thanks !!!! Please refer to original recipe from http://www.sailusfood.com/2009/07/27/pressure-cooker-mutton-biryani/
I have made some modification as I didn’t have all the ingredients but still it came out good.
- 4 cup Basmati Rice
- 2.5 pounds of mutton(goat) (I bought it from a halal store, somehow I found that halal meats taste better)
- 1 cup yogurt required for cooking & 2 spoon yogurt for marinating the meat
- 4 cloves, 2 elaichi, 2 -3 sticks of long cinnamon stick, 2 bay leaves, 2 big elaichi
- Chilly powder, turmeric powder, coriender powder & Shaan mutton biryano powder
- 2 onions finely sliced
- 1 big tomato finely chopped
- fresh coriender leaves, 3 green chillies, fresh lemon
- ready made ginger-garlic paste
- <Mint leaves – I didn’t have it, so I left out this ingredient>
Marinate the mutton for 20 minutes (As Sailu suggested, I had marinated the mutton & worked on getting the other ingredients ready 🙂 with lemon juice, 1 spoon of ginger garlic paste, 2 spoon of yogurt, salt, chilly powder, coriender powder, 3 green chilly cut slantly.
- Use pressure cooker – Heat ghee (4 spoon) and add 4 cloves, 2 elaichi, 2 -3 sticks of long cinnamon stick, 2 bay leaves, 2 big elaichi – saute for 30 secs/ untill the good aroma comes out ..
- Add onions – saute for 8-10 mins, keep stirring in between
- Add ginger-garlic paste (1 spoon), keep stirring
- Add coriender leaves, keep stirring & saute for 5 mins
- Add turmeric & chilly powder & saute for 2 mins
- Add chopped tomato – saute for 5 mins
- Add marinated mutton, stir it for 7-10 mins
- Add 1 cup of water, stir it & cover the pressure cooker & cook for 4 whistles.
- Cool it & let the pressure cooker open by itself, don’t force the steam out to open it.
- If the gravy is watery, which was the case in mine, continue cooking with the lid open until the gravy is thickened & almost dry.
Meanwhile, in the rice cooker (the only reason I used rice cooker was because my pressure cooker is small & the last time I tried biryani making in pressure cooker it was a bit mushy so I wanted to try using rice cooker) take the rice, wash it, strain it & add 1 cup of yogurt, put shaan mutton biryani powder, add 2 cups of water & stir it. Put the cooked mutton (I had put 3/4of of the mutton I had cooked and left 1/4th for mutton fry which is a good starter or side dish) in the rice & add more water as required. Add salt. Put the rice cooker on.
Check the rice cooker in between, stir and check if rice needs more water. I had added little more water as I felt it needed more and stired it.
While this is being cooked, I prepared the mutton fry
Heat oil, put whole zeera, bay leaf, followed by sliced green chillies & onions, fresh garlic slices. Add cashew nuts. Put the cooked mutton & saute in medium heat – 15 mins. Add more masala if required, I didn’t add anything extra. Garnish with fresh cilantro.
I made Raita & papad as side dishes & we all enjoyed a very good dinner. Thanks to Sailu 🙂 We were so hungry & I forgot to take a picture. This was so good, I am going to try it again and I will take a picture then.